Monday, July 30, 2012

Bonus baked onions


I’ve decided I’m not done with number nine yet; the onions deserve a mention. 



It’s a Nigel Slater recipe - one found in The Kitchen Diaries - that I’ve been meaning to make for ages. In the spirit of Getting Things Done before we move away, I finally made the baked onions (funny how I manage to tick things like “make baked onions” off the to-do list much quicker than “go to the dentist”). The onions were as good as I hoped, but they are baked in cream and cheese so it’s really no surprise.



Onions baked in cream
Makes enough for 6 – 8 people, as a substantial side dish

4 large onions, peeled and halved (but don’t cut off the core)
250ml cream (the original recipe calls for 330ml, but I found 250ml to be plenty)
Large handful grated parmesan (although I in fact used pecorino, which was good)
Salt and pepper

Place the peeled onion halves in a large pot with a teaspoon of salt and cover with cold water. Place over high heat and bring to the boil, then lower the heat to medium and simmer for 20 – 25 minutes, until the onions are tender but not soft. Remove from the heat.

Preheat the oven to 180 C. Remove the onions from the water with a slotted spoon and lay in an ovenproof dish. Pour the cream over the onions, season generously with salt and freshly ground pepper, and sprinkle the cheese on top. Place the onions in the oven and bake for 30 – 45 minutes, until the tops are dark golden and bubbly.



No comments:

Post a Comment