Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Crispy chewy chocolate chip cookies


Big chocolate chip cookies, crispy on the edges, chewy and dense inside, loaded with chocolate bits and full of a caramelly flavour, are an iconic treat in America. I grew up overseas, going to an American school, and so most of the parties of my childhood featured chocolate chip cookies alongside the crudités and ranch dip. Many a snowy weekend afternoon was spent making chocolate chip cookies with my sister, using the classic Nestle Tollhouse recipe. I would eat so many of the cookies still melty and gooey from the oven that I would inevitably feel ill. But of course I’d have more cookies after dinner.

So please imagine my horror, combined with terrible disappointment, the first time I was confronted with what passes as a chocolate chip cookie in South Africa. Tiny shortbready biscuits – not cookies, there is a world of difference – with little specks of chocolate. I know chocolate chip shortbread is good, but: 1) it’s not good when you expect a proper chocolate chip cookie, and 2) these alleged chocolate chip biscuits aren’t even real shortbread, they’re less buttery (and therefore less delicious, in my opinion).

Who's afraid of salmonella? Not me!

Since then, I’ve had to make my own chocolate chip cookies at all times, to prevent the shock of an impostor when I want the real thing. And because chocolate chip cookies seem to be necessary quite often, and I’ve lived in this country for more than eight years now (!), I’ve had to make a lot of batches, to the point where I became bored of using the same recipe every time. A few years ago I started to experiment with recipes, going so far as to try the infamous New York Times recipe developed by David Leite after months of research on what constitutes the ideal chocolate chip cookie. It was indeed a very good recipe, but not good if you need the cookies in approximately 37 minutes, which tends to be the case with me. So I kept searching and trying out recipes, until I became stuck on Smitten Kitchen recipe for crispy, chewy chocolate chip cookies. So, so good, and exactly as the recipe title describes them. No doubt I’ll eventually get bored again and move on, but for now, this is my go-to recipe when the need for proper chocolate chip cookies strikes.



Crispy chewy chocolate chip cookies
It’s difficult to know how many cookies this recipe makes, since I eat so much of the raw dough when I make them (salmonella be damned). And also so many of the warm cookies, before I even have time to count. More than 24, definitely. Probably closer to 36.

2 c cake flour
½ t baking soda
1 t salt
¾ c butter, melted
1 c packed treacle sugar
½ c white sugar
1 tb vanilla
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 c dark chocolate chunks (I use chopped dark chocolate, usually Bourneville)
1 cup chopped nuts of your choice - optional

Sift together the flour, soda, and salt. In another bowl, whisk the melted butter and sugars. Add the egg, yolk, and vanilla and whisk until light. Add sifted ingredients and blend, then add chocolate chips, and nuts if using, and blend. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper and drop tablespoonfuls of dough 3 in apart(At this point, I like to sprinkle each cookie with a generous pinch of Maldon salt. I like the salt with the sweet, but maybe I just need all the salt to offset – slightly – the massive amounts of sugar I consume when I bake these cookies)

Bake at 165 C for 10-12 minutes, and remove from the cookie sheet to a cooling rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment