Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Eating (but not yet cooking) in Singapore

So! We are in Singapore, and it is hot and wonderful. We are also in a hotel for the time being, meaning we have to eat out for most meals (how we suffer!). I am very much looking forward to moving into our flat at the start of September, and being able to cook again (albeit very basic things, since out shipment with implements only arrives in October). Once I can cook again, I suspect I will bombard this blog in delight with all my creations using new-to-me ingredients.
But until then, here are some of the most delicious things I have eaten after one week in Singapore, listed in no particular order:

1. Lor mee - thick, flat egg noodles in a dark broth with lots of goodies - pork, prawns (I think), hard-boiled egg, and more. The chilli sauce on the side was smoky and slightly sweet. I am getting better with the slippery-noodles-and-chopsticks-and-spoon technique (if anyone knows a less cumbersome term for the technique, do let me know), but still ended up with dark brown sauce splatters all over me after this meal. Worth it, though.


2. Omu yakisoba - this is actually a Japanese dish. I feel guilty eating things that are not actually very Singaporean, and yet it hasn't stopped me from eating Japanese, Korean, Thai and Vietnamese food, as you will see. Clearly I am able to push my guilt aside. Anyway, again noodles, this time cooked on a hotplate with bacon and a mysterious sauce, topped with egg, "special white sauce", delicious mysterious brown sauce and dancing fish flakes.

3. I can't remember this salad's actual Thai name. I could google it, but so can you - it's a green mango salad, with tom yum soup on the side. My stomach lining was burning for hours afterwards due to the large chunks of chilli you can see in the salad, and yet I couldn't stop myself from eating them all.

4. Chewy Juniors - custard-filled cream puffs, sometimes with toppings added as above, seem to be a Thing in Singapore, and one of the chain brands is called Chewy Juniors. Eating puffs from a chain brand is probably a very rookie-ish thing to do, but I might never be able to eat another kind, due to these having one of the best brand names ever.

5. Pad thai - again with the non-local food, and extremely well-known-in-the-West non-local food, too. Sorry. It was good.

6. And a blurry picture of a plate from a vegetarian buffet-style stall; brown rice and vegetables, so healthy! (If you choose to ignore all the delicious oil, sodium and coconut milk also contained in this meal.)
And thus concludes my Top 6, so far.

2 comments:

  1. I so want to visit you and share a nice meal with you.... everything looks so tasty... Hope you are enjoying :)xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll love it here so much, and we will be here long enough so that you can come visit after the year of getting married :)

      Delete